Saturday, August 11, 2007

End of Week 2...

Yesterday brought me to the end of the 2nd week of clearing leave so I'm just 1wk away from ORD. Finally, its over between me and the army. Its normal for NSF to gripe about serving the SAF but for a change I'm going to write about the many things I learnt. Though I didnt serve in the 1st CDO or NDU, I believe that there's something that can be learnt from every situation and circumstance in life. So here it comes...

Lessons Learnt as an NSF
1. Every system has its loopholes, part of surviving in life is to figure out these loopholes and using them to your advantage.
2. Rules are meant to be bent. If you can talk really well, one can pretty much talk your way through any situation with the regulars. (Eg. Long hair, falling in late, dirty bunk/uniform, etc.)
3. Till you go to the SAF the only people you know come from similar socio-economic background as you. Dealing with the Hokkien Bengs is a skill that will serve you throughout the rest of your life. It also gives you a good understanding of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs
4. SAF officers are the most difficult to convince of anything. Planning an event makes you think of every possible situation where things can go wrong, alot of times they can be extreme and far fetched but it makes you creative.
5. You'll develop the patience of a monk.
6. Not all guys like women. (Make the inference)
7. In life your boss is never going to appreciate what you do so just shut up and do it. Cos the more you gripe about it the more pissed off you are going to feel about it.
8. Never end up arguing with an Encik, your gift of the gap will lose out to his years of talking cock at the yellow box.
9. Everyone has their weak points and dirty side, knowing it means you usually can get favours out of them. Its being manipulative but you are better off manipulating others than being manipulated.
10. "In everything that you do, be a KILLER WHALE. Big and strong but swift and decisive!", Staff Tay

Please do leave your comments about the above!!

I've decided that I shall not waste my time doing telesales and selling credit cards along the street. That's the kind of jobs I've been getting considering the limited time I can work. The money I earn firstly isn't worth the time spent. Secondly, I would have the time to study for my CFA if I don't work. The cost-benefit priciple for the CFA far superceeds the working experience gained over 5-6 months. And like my friend Srikanth said, "there's a limit to how low u can stoop for money." I can't bring myself to beg people on the street to sign up for my card so that I can get a few $100.

Got a call from Sydney yesterday confirming that I've been allocated my studio apartment. So got to send the security deposit and acceptance form for the apartment. Called Citibank to settle my loan for the tuition fees, my parents want to maintain liquidity than sinking their funds into tuition fees. So I'll start off my life with about $50K in debt. I've no complaints, my parents paid my full undergrad studies and are covering my living expenses and accomodation in Sydney which is a bomb in itself. If I land myself in some place great, probably the bonus at the end of my second year should be good enough to pay of the entire amount. So will have to work my ass of for the 1.5 years. It'll be something totally new compared to the Newton's 2nd law, Bernoulli's Principle and Fanno Flow I've dealt with over the last 4years. But then again what's life without a challenge? As an SA boy, I always fall back on one important line in the school song "Foes in plenty we shall meet, Hearts courageous scorn defeat!"

No comments: